NPR’s Tamara Keith and Amy Walter of the Cook Political Report join Judy Woodruff to discuss the latest political news, including the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, how it affects the presidential race and the power dynamics at play in the Senate around the battle for her replacement.
Investors and big auto makers are pouring money into electric-vehicle startups in a search for the next Tesla, with the hopes of cashing in. One company is drawing more scrutiny than most. WSJ explains.
Illustration: Jacob Reynolds/WSJ
In the early nineteenth century, Indiana was at the intersection of ideas from the East and the frontier – resulting in a unique opportunity to express creative adaptions of residential architectural styles in America.
Industrialization later in the century created a new wealth to build extraordinary houses outside of cities; by the early twentieth century, Americans had created their own distinctive residential architecture with the Prairie Style.
This 288 page compendium includes over ninety houses in Indiana which are representative of the finest American residential architecture, from the Federal and Classical Revival style to Modern. The fascinating story of the evolution of residential architecture elaborates on the character defining features of each period, including the exterior form, massing, details as well as interiors – all beautifully illustrated in large format black and white photographs.
Authors: Craig Kuhner and Alan Ward
American Residential Architecture
Oscar Riera Ojeda Publications
Photographs of the Evolution of Indiana Houses
Filmed and Edited by: Fenchel & Janisch
Paris, France’s capital, is a major European city and a global center for art, fashion, gastronomy and culture. Its 19th-century cityscape is crisscrossed by wide boulevards and the River Seine. Beyond such landmarks as the Eiffel Tower and the 12th-century, Gothic Notre-Dame cathedral, the city is known for its cafe culture and designer boutiques along the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
We joined Michael George on a trip to Japan to explore nature and the bold autumn of colors of Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara.
Michael had the chance to enrich his budding love for Japan and its culture last November. The experience empowered his work in creative travel and inspired him to learn more about himself, his passions, and how certain colors and aesthetics relate to his craft. Focusing on the color yellow in Japan sharpened his awareness of autumn and the impending seasonal changes; the bold colors of nature matching the intense colors of temples and shrines.
On Sept. 15, 2020, Arctic sea ice reached its annual minimum extent — the second-lowest on record. This summer, temperatures soared in the Siberian Arctic, and intense fires burned through peatland. The Arctic region is warming three times faster than the rest of the planet.
The Almeda fire left a path of destruction as it tore through the Rogue Valley in southern Oregon. About 24 hours after it started, an estimated 2,350 homes had been left in ashes. We used satellite images, videos and social media posts to track what happened.
The Alphavan is built on Mercedes’ largest Sprinter, the 736-cm (290-in)-long extra-long-wheelbase variant with super-high (299-cm+) roof. For comparison, that van is nearly 1.5 m (5 ft) longer than the Sprinter 144 that underpins notable campers like the Winnebago Revel and Westfalia James Cook.
ALPHA Living Space
- Spacious living room conveys home feeling
- Choose from two different styles
- Soft line: modern structured wooden finish combined with warm grey surfaces
- Pure line: soft earthy white finish combined with warm grey surfaces
- Seating covers can be exclusively individualized based on your request
- Feel yourself like home with a fantastic ceiling height of 2.10m (made possible by the extra height of the base vehicle)
- High quality design kitchen
- Single cast countertop – smooth rounded edges
- Spacious drawers, feather-light movement and premium Soft-Close technology
- Brushed stainless steel push locks enriching the design surfaces
- Three generous compartments in the entry area allow for easy access of frequently used items
- Two stowing compartments with integrated LED background lighting provide high end atmosphere while realizing superb practicability
- A comfortably large 90 liters Dometic refrigerator in a central location welcomes you
- The countertop blends beautifully into a flush mount two-burner Thetford induction cooker
- High-end sink armatures underline the elegance of the interior
- Spacious and bright bathroom with outside window, style “white-pure”
- 100% water proof
- Single cast bathroom construction
- Polyurethane sealed edges
- Side window with 100% waterproof frame fittings
- Thetford toilet with SOG ventilation system
- Additional ceiling ventilation
- Space saving pull-out sink
- Extractable shower head
- Water-protected storage bin in the upper area for showering items
- Flush mount integrated bathroom door
- Premium door handle with innovative magnet lock
- Additional useful built-in closet between bathroom and sleeping area
- Clothes rail in upper part
- Shoe compartment in lower part
ALPHA Relax Area
- Sleeping space of 200x160cm
- High-end mattress
- Sophisticated ventilation concept:
- side-windows left and right for fresh air
- ceiling window allowing circulation and unforgettable star gazing during clear nights
- Windows with fly screens and separate shades
- Alpha FlexPort 220x170x128 cm (LxWxH)
- Integrated chair holders in the rear doors
- Lashing system in the floor and side walls for safely securing stored equipment
- Optional design storage bags for the side walls
- Convenient hooks on rear doors and front wall of FlexPort
- Seating and stowing capabilities on and inside the design round-edged floor cabinets left and right
- Single cast closing flaps of the cabinets with integrated Soft-Close technology and warm grey design
Christophe Felder, along with his longtime collaborator, Camille Lesecq, are back with a new volume that focuses upon the delightful small pastries that are one of the highlights of the art of French baking. Both children and adults adore these often bite-size indulgences. Included here are all the fundamental recipes–the classics and the traditional favorites–along with original, inventive creations.
A delightful volume devoted to the delicate, charming treats that are the soul of France’s neighborhood patisseries. With Felder’s expert guidance, any home cook can now re-create the sweet enchantments and small indulgences that are the hallmark of many a holiday in France.
Recipes include amandines, babas, biscuits, bostocks, creams, croquantes, croustillons, financiers, flans, madeleines, Alsatian manderlis, Napoleans, petits fours, sablés, tartlets, and much more.
The book opens with a section on twenty-seven base recipes from which all others can be made, including pâte brisée, pâte sucrée, sablé breton, dacquoise, pâte á choux, feuilletée rapide, and crème pâtissière. It is then divided into chapters of increasing complexity, with a final chapter on “funny” cakes–playfully decorated small cakes designed to delight children or for parties.
Each recipe comes with precise preparation and cooking times, step-by-step decorating tips, and suggestions for vegan and gluten-free alternatives–this seemingly petite package contains a wide range of sweet and simple pleasures to delight big and small gourmets alike.
About The Author
Christophe Felder is one of the most respected pastry masters in the world, having achieved fame during his fifteen-year tenure as the pastry chef at the Michelin-starred Hôtel de Crillon in Paris. In 2009, he founded Studio Christophe Felder, a pastry school open to the public and located in Strasbourg in his native Alsace. Together with Camille Lesecq, former pastry chef at Le Meurice, they operate a patisserie, Les Pâtissiers, in Mutzig, Alsace.
Design, Manufacturing & Installation by Boano Prismontas –
Are you working from home? Do you need a space where to focus on your hobbies, your crafts, or just find relaxation away from your busy life? We designed a modular customizable garden room that can be built in just 1 day and fit gardens or backyards of any size. –
Video and Editing by Dylan Drake – Sculptures by Liz Parr – Mycelium Light by Natura Studio – Metal works by Can of Gas