Berlin, Germany’s capital, dates to the 13th century. Reminders of the city’s turbulent 20th-century history include its Holocaust memorial and the Berlin Wall’s graffitied remains. Divided during the Cold War, its 18th-century Brandenburg Gate has become a symbol of reunification. The city’s also known for its art scene and modern landmarks like the gold-colored, swoop-roofed Berliner Philharmonie, built in 1963.
LILLYANA : Architecture & Innovation for the Sea
Author : Arthur Seibert and Clemens Lindner
Nationality : German
Year : 2019
Location : Shanghaï, China
In the context of a rapidly increasing global population growth and the associated shortage of living space, alternative urban concepts in a marine environment are gaining importance under ecological and sustainable aspects. The concept- guideline “renaturation instead of soil sealing” is an effort to react on the challenges of current megatrends in the context of the sea. The underwater city structure is designed for up to 15,000 inhabitants in the vicinity of a large coastal city. “Lillyana” represents an ideal system that can be applied to various geographical and climatic conditions and their specific demands. The form is inspired by hydrophytes – plants that grow above and below the water and benefit from their environment. Through their biometric and biological mechanisms, the shape has been improved for energy efficiency, buoyancy and stability. Thus, the wind-, water- and solar energy production is directly embedded in the design language. The main challenge of this project was to develop a self-sufficient system that could also allow different forms of social life at the same time. To achieve this, we have tried to understand the factors that make an attractive city: “Living”, “working”, “mobility”, “supply” and “recreation” These fields of action provide the framework for our design: Therefore, a superior supply organ will be placed in the centre, from which radially arranged bridge systems will form connections to floating platforms. These are anchored beneath the seabed and represent the quarter centres. From the platforms, supply pipelines, on which various spheres are suspended, lead into the depths. They shift private, professional and social life below the water surface. High attractiveness, beneath as well as above the sea level, is achieved by providing well-located and spatially qualitative living and working areas with a recreation and leisure area, as well as an intelligent infrastructure via a pipeline network.
Descriptive of Author : Splendour of life beneath the surface: “Lillyana” – A hydrophytic model for urban design
Radio News 24/7 | Deutsche Welle reports: President Trump transferred to Walter Reed Medical Center, Germany marks 30th year of reunification, and other top world news.
The Alphavan is built on Mercedes’ largest Sprinter, the 736-cm (290-in)-long extra-long-wheelbase variant with super-high (299-cm+) roof. For comparison, that van is nearly 1.5 m (5 ft) longer than the Sprinter 144 that underpins notable campers like the Winnebago Revel and Westfalia James Cook.
ALPHA Living Space
- Spacious living room conveys home feeling
- Choose from two different styles
- Soft line: modern structured wooden finish combined with warm grey surfaces
- Pure line: soft earthy white finish combined with warm grey surfaces
- Seating covers can be exclusively individualized based on your request
- Feel yourself like home with a fantastic ceiling height of 2.10m (made possible by the extra height of the base vehicle)
- High quality design kitchen
- Single cast countertop – smooth rounded edges
- Spacious drawers, feather-light movement and premium Soft-Close technology
- Brushed stainless steel push locks enriching the design surfaces
- Three generous compartments in the entry area allow for easy access of frequently used items
- Two stowing compartments with integrated LED background lighting provide high end atmosphere while realizing superb practicability
- A comfortably large 90 liters Dometic refrigerator in a central location welcomes you
- The countertop blends beautifully into a flush mount two-burner Thetford induction cooker
- High-end sink armatures underline the elegance of the interior
- Spacious and bright bathroom with outside window, style “white-pure”
- 100% water proof
- Single cast bathroom construction
- Polyurethane sealed edges
- Side window with 100% waterproof frame fittings
- Thetford toilet with SOG ventilation system
- Additional ceiling ventilation
- Space saving pull-out sink
- Extractable shower head
- Water-protected storage bin in the upper area for showering items
- Flush mount integrated bathroom door
- Premium door handle with innovative magnet lock
- Additional useful built-in closet between bathroom and sleeping area
- Clothes rail in upper part
- Shoe compartment in lower part
ALPHA Relax Area
- Sleeping space of 200x160cm
- High-end mattress
- Sophisticated ventilation concept:
- side-windows left and right for fresh air
- ceiling window allowing circulation and unforgettable star gazing during clear nights
- Windows with fly screens and separate shades
- Alpha FlexPort 220x170x128 cm (LxWxH)
- Integrated chair holders in the rear doors
- Lashing system in the floor and side walls for safely securing stored equipment
- Optional design storage bags for the side walls
- Convenient hooks on rear doors and front wall of FlexPort
- Seating and stowing capabilities on and inside the design round-edged floor cabinets left and right
- Single cast closing flaps of the cabinets with integrated Soft-Close technology and warm grey design
The celebration of Ludwig van Beethoven’s 250th birthday this year is reaching a crescendo in Germany. The composer and pianist was born in Bonn on December 16, 1770, and his musical legacy carries on. In this reel, we meet concert pianists putting a new spin on Beethoven’s work. Susanne Kessel, for one, put out a call to composers for 250 new piano pieces inspired by Beethoven and is now in the midst of performing them. Elsewhere, the duo known as Pianotainment is using humor and serious piano chops to make the work of the likes of Beethoven accessible to all. We wrap up this ode to Beethoven with a visit to a museum full of self-playing musical instruments. And, yes, some of them even play Beethoven.
This Great Big Story was made possible by the German National Tourism Board and BTHVN2020: https://www.germany.travel/beethoven2020
DW Radio News 24/7 reports: Germans protest government Covid-19 measures in Berlin, Chilean protests, cases spike in India and France, and ‘Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43.
Born in Italy, Carlo has been always deeply passionate about drawing.
After graduating in Architecture at the Polytechnic of Milan, he chose to further his education attending art and design studies. He collaborated with the premier italian designer Bruno Munari, an amazing experience that influenced his way to see the world.
As an editorial and advertising illustrator, Carlo works with major italian magazines and newspapers and with international clients in Europe and in the U.S.
His distinctive style continually wins Italian Illustration awards and the work has been selected by The American Illustration Annual and won the Gold Medal Award in Creative Quarterly’s #15 contest and Awards of Excellence from Communication Arts.
In 2015 he wrote and illustrated I am Milan, followed by I am London and I am New York the first title of a new book collection, published by Moleskine, dedicated to the main cities of the world.
Carlo lives and works in Berlin.
The extremely compact, ultra-light cabin is designed for the new generation of all-terrain SUVs such as the new Defender or Mercedes-G as well as the Wrangler or Bronco. With the very short floor length, the body blends in harmoniously with the driver’s cab, which is opened behind the C-pillar.
With a width of 1.80 m and length of 3.95 m, it weighs only 460 kg. The weight can be reduced even further through an interior construction made of carbon. It offers full living comfort for two people with toilet, shower and lengthways beds in the alcove, as well as a complete kitchen in the rear.
- Total weight 460 kg dry
- Body made of aerospace CARBON (110 kg)
- Wide luggage flap over the entire rear
- Frost-proof inner tanks, 90 liters of fresh water
- 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery and 100 WP solar
- Compressor cooler 29 liters, gas cooker,
- 124 cm wide kitchen unit with two drawers
- Cassette toilet
- Openable shower
- Sleeper lengthways on 12 cm comfort mattress
- 2 persons
- Total weight 527 kg dry
- Body made of aerospace CARBON (125 kg)
- Vibration-dampened cabin mounting
- Wide luggage flap over the entire rear
- Frost-proof inner tanks, 150 liters of fresh water
- Outside shower, outside light
- 160 Ah LiFePO4 battery and 300 WP solar
- CERAN induction hob 1500 watts 220 volts
- Compressor cool box 55 liters
- 134 cm wide kitchen unit with three drawers
- SLIDE-Cross WC comfort bathroom, spacious wet room
- Compost toilet
- Sleeper lengthways with 12 cm comfort mattress, wardrobe
- Two sleeping places on converted bench
The headroom is 1.95 m. On request, a lower roof shape can also be selected, which reduces the overall height of the vehicle to less than 2.75 m. Container loading is possible with special wheels.
Bogner’s latest road trip took him and his fellow curve hunters from Baden-Baden across the Black Forest to Lake Constance and along the German Alpine road to Tegernsee, Berchtesgaden and numerous other wonderful corners of Bavaria.
Along the way, the Porsche convoy stopped at the Dornier aircraft factories, the Gmünd paper mill and a plethora of fabulous hotels such as Ellmau Castle and the Kranzbach.
Built as a more powerful variant of the 914, only 10 of these pre-production 916s were built. Each of the prototypes wore a fixed steel roof, a double grilled engine lid, seven-inch Fuchs wheels, and flared fenders from the 914-6 GT cars.
Fitted with a 2.4-liter flat-six engine from the 911 S model, the example on offer was originally owned by Louise Piëch, Ferdinand Piëch’s sister. It later went on to be the centerpiece in several prominent collections and is offered today from single ownership since 2008 in concours condition following a comprehensive two-year, bare-metal restoration.