Zion National Park is a southwest Utah nature preserve distinguished by Zion Canyon’s steep red cliffs. Zion Canyon Scenic Drive cuts through its main section, leading to forest trails along the Virgin River. The river flows to the Emerald Pools, which have waterfalls and a hanging garden. Also along the river, partly through deep chasms, is Zion Narrows wading hike.
NPR’s Tamara Keith and Lisa Lerer of The New York Times join Judy Woodruff to discuss the latest political news, including President Joe Biden’s message in Europe, Vice President Kamala Harris’ diverse and challenging portfolio, how it all affects Republican strategy for the midterm elections and what role former President Donald Trump plays in his party.
In this walking tour, I take you around St Mark’s Square, walking till Rialto, you will see all the best attraction of Venice: The Basilic, the Clock Tower, St Mark’s Square, the Doge Palace, the beautiful restaurants, the nice shop, and of course the amazing Rialto bridge.
At Rialto, we take the “vaporetto” and navigate the “Grand Canal” till Accademia, walking at the top of Accademia bridge. We will visit the “Dorsoduro” sestiere till Basilic of Santa Maria della Salute, where we took a “traghetto”, a traditional venetian gondola used to cross the “Grand Canal”. The Traghetto takes us to Giardini Reali, and finally we will arrive at St Mark’s Square.
San Marco is the tourist heart of Venice, home to iconic sights like St. Mark’s Basilica, the Doge’s Palace and the Bridge of Sighs. The area is often thronged with people, and the restaurants on and around St. Mark’s Square offer multilingual menus for the international crowd. The surrounding streets are filled with casual snack bars, upscale fashion boutiques and shops selling glass art and gift items.
Can smart gardens really grow delicious vegetables inside your apartment? WSJ asked Timothy Hammond, an urban gardener and educator in Houston, to test out Rise Gardens hydroponic smart garden to see how the vegetables compare with his own outdoor garden. Photo: Ben Hallock for The Wall Street Journal
‘Clerkenwell was right outside the London city walls, but close enough to it, so was ideal for monasteries. With four or five in the area, people came to serve them, shops opened and you had quite a nice little village.’
A medieval well lies hidden inside a brick office block on Farringdon Lane. It may look a little more than a hole in the ground, but it’s from there that Clerkenwell came to life.
‘The parish clerks from the City of London would come to perform plays and read from the Bible and, because they gathered around this particular well, it became known as the well of the Clerks,’ explains Mark Aston, local-history manager for Islington Council, under which authority Clerkenwell falls. ‘It’s not only water that sprung from it, but Clerkenwell’s name itself.’
1. Following the G7 summit in England, Joe Biden attends a NATO summit in Brussels. The U.S. president will rally Western allies to support a U.S. strategy to contain China’s military rise as well as showing unity in the face of Russian aggression.
2. One of 14 people hurt in a mass shooting in Austin, Texas, died according to media reports. Two men opened fire at each other in a busy entertainment district. Police arrested one suspect and are searching for another.
3. Benjamin Netanyahu’s record run in office ended on Sunday with Israel’s parliament approving, by a razor-thin majority of 60-59, a new administration led by Naftali Bennett, a nationalist whose views mirror Netanyahu’s on many issues. In Tel Aviv, thousands turned out to welcome the result, after four inconclusive elections in two years.
4. The United States is looking into reports of a leak at a Chinese nuclear power plant, after warnings of an “imminent radiological threat” by a French company that helps operate it, CNN reported on Monday.
5. Bitcoin climbed just shy of $40,000 on Monday, after yet another weekend of price swings following tweets from Tesla boss Elon Musk, who fended off criticism over his market influence and said Tesla sold bitcoin but may resume transactions using it.
As a conservation charity, we’ve been searching for alternative ways to get around the estates, gardens, and the places in our care, reducing our reliance on traditional diesel-powered vehicles. Thanks to a new collaboration with Raleigh, electric assisted bikes (e-bikes) are now helping us to meet our climate change objectives. Using e-bikes to travel from A to B will enable us to step towards a greener future, moving us closer to our goal of being carbon net zero by 2030. These Snowdonia Rangers tell us how the transition from four wheels to two has been going, and the benefits it’s having on their roles.
Snowdonia is a region in northwest Wales concentrated around the mountains and glacial landforms of massive Snowdonia National Park. The park’s historic Snowdon Mountain Railway climbs to the summit of Wales’s highest mountain, Mount Snowdon, offering views across the sea to Ireland. The park is also home to an extensive network of trails, over 100 lakes and craggy peaks like Cader Idris and Tryfan.
Rome is the capital city and a special comune of Italy (named Comune di Roma Capitale), as well as the capital of the Lazio region. The city has been a major human settlement for almost three millennia. With 2,860,009 residents in 1,285 km2 (496.1 sq mi), it is also the country’s most populated comune. It is the third most populous city in the European Union by population within city limits. It is the centre of the Metropolitan City of Rome, which has a population of 4,355,725 residents, thus making it the most populous metropolitan city in Italy. Its metropolitan area is the third-most populous within Italy. Vatican City (the smallest country in the world) is an independent country inside the city boundaries of Rome, the only existing example of a country within a city; for this reason , Rome has sometimes been defined as the capital of two states.