Little Havana is Miami’s vibrant Cuban heart, with Latin American art galleries and busy restaurants. Cafes with walk-up windows sell Cuban coffee to cigar-smoking patrons. On Calle Ocho (SW 8th Street), locals discuss politics over dominoes at Maximo Gomez Park, dubbed Domino Park by locals. The historic Tower Theater screens independent and revival films, while the area’s clubs host live Latin music.
Miami’s skyscraper boom is happening on the frontlines of the climate crisis.
Miami, city, seat (1844) of Miami-Dade county, southeastern Florida, U.S. A major transportation and business hub, Miami is a leading resort and Atlantic Ocean port situated on Biscayne Bay at the mouth of the Miami River. The Everglades area is a short distance to the west. Greater Miami, the state’s largest urban concentration, comprises all of the county, which includes the cities of Miami Beach (across the bay), Coral Gables, Hialeah, North Miami, and many smaller municipalities and unincorporated areas; together, these make up the southern section of Florida’s “Gold Coast.”
Miami, officially the City of Miami, is a coastal metropolis and the seat of Miami-Dade County in South Florida. With a population of 442,241 as of the 2020 census, it is the second-most populous city in Florida and the eleventh-most populous city in the Southeastern United States.
Miami is one of the state’s – and the world’s – most popular vacation spots. The trendy nightlife of South Beach, bejeweled by the eye candy of the Art Deco district. The bustle of Calle Ocho and the highly caffeinated energy of Little Havana. The plush hotels of Miami Beach and the historic hideaways of Coral Gables.
Miami, officially the City of Miami, is a coastal metropolis located in Miami-Dade County in southeastern Florida, United States. With a population of 442,241 as of the 2020 census, it is the 44th-largest city in the United States and the core of the nation’s eighth-largest metropolitan area.
Equipped with a state-of-the-art medical facility and high-tech safety features, Legacy Hotel and Residences is not your typical high-rise building.
Five stories to know for June 25:
1. Rescue crews picked through tons of rubble looking for survivors after the collapse of part of an oceanfront apartment tower near Miami, where officials reported at least one person dead and nearly 100 missing.
2. Hours after President Joe Biden declared “We have a deal” to renew the infrastructure of the United States, the Senate’s top Republican lashed out at plans to follow the $1.2 trillion bipartisan bill with another measure funding what Democrats call “human infrastructure.”
3. Former Minneapolis policeman Derek Chauvin will be sentenced for murdering George Floyd in May 2020 after a trial that was widely seen as a watershed moment in the history of U.S. policing.
4. An indigenous group in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan said it had found the unmarked graves of an estimated 751 people at a now-defunct Catholic residential school, just weeks after a similar, smaller discovery rocked the country.
5. The U.S. government, once openly dismissive of UFO sightings that for decades sparked the popular imagination, is poised to issue an expansive account of what it calls “unidentified aerial phenomena,” based heavily on observations by American military pilots.
Miami, officially the City of Miami, is a coastal metropolis located in southeastern Florida in the United States. It is the third most populous metropolis on the East coast of the United States, and it is the seventh largest in the country.
CHAPTERS: 0:00 Intro 0:41 SOUTH BEACH: Ocean Drive, Art Deco District, Miami Beach 1:42 Key Biscayne 2:37 NEIGHBORHOODS: Little Havana, Little Haiti, Wynwood 4:38 MUSEUMS: Frost Museum of Science, Pérez Art Museum, Vizcaya Museum 5:23 Miami history 6:27 Downtown Miami 6:34 SHOPPING: Bayside Marketplace, etc. 7:09 Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden 7:37 EVERGLADES: Airboat, etc. 8:10 Animal encounters
South Beach is known for its beaches and the glamorous scene around its happening nightspots and celebrity-chef eateries. Chain stores and indie fashion shops line pedestrian shopping strip Lincoln Road Mall. On Ocean Drive, known for its well-preserved art deco architecture, outdoor cafes offer a ringside view of the scene. Museums include the Wolfsonian-FIU, which has a collection of modern art and objects.
Miami, officially the City of Miami, is a metropolis located in southeastern Florida in the United States. It is the third most populous metropolis on the East coast of the United States, and it is the seventh largest in the country.