Hotel Torni (“Hotel Tower”) is a historical hotel located in Helsinki, Finland, and a part of the Sokos Hotels hotel chain. When opened in 1931, it became the tallest building in Finland, a position it maintained until the completion of the new Neste headquarters in neighboring Espoo in 1976.
It remained the tallest building in Helsinki until 1987. The interior of the building was completely renovated in 2005. It is located in central Helsinki, the so-called Helsinki Design District.
The hotel was designed by architects Jung & Jung in 1928, and has 14 stories. It is allegedly the place where the murder of the Mata Hari-like Minna Craucher was planned in 1932.
The hotel served the needs of air defense during the Second World War, when members of the Finnish women’s paramilitary organization Lotta Svärd kept watch for enemy bombers. Immediately after the cessation of the war, Hotelli Torni served as the headquarters of the Allied Control Commission monitoring Finnish compliance with the obligations of the Moscow Armistice. It became known as a center of culinary excellence.
Pamela Fiori’s career in magazine publishing spans more than forty years. She was editor In chief of Town & Count , America’s premier magazine for the affluent in America, for seventeen years. Before that, she was editor in chief of Travel + Leisure for fourteen years.
An authority on luxury, travel, style, connoisseurship, and philanthropy, Flori writes and speaks frequently on these subjects. Her first book, Stolen M ents, Is a tribute to the photography of Ronny Jaques, a contemporary of Richard Avedon and Lillian Sassman. She has also written In the Sprit of Capri and in the spirit of St. Barths for Assoullne.
Monocle 24 “The Menu” features a new Helsinki restaurant that’s pushing the boundaries in sourcing local ingredients.
VILLD – Finland’s first vegan fine-dining restaurant. Known as Ossi Paloneva’s pop up restaurant concept and web series, VILLD opened a permanent restaurant in November 2019 in Harju, Helsinki (Helsinginkatu 21).
VILLD’s rotating five-course vegan menu is made up of wildly collected wild ingredients. In VILLD’s kitchen, roots, berries, plants, mushrooms, seeds and edible flowers are transformed into pure and strong experiences, including smoking, fermentation, drying and germination.
We visit a Kengo Kuma-designed art museum in Eskisehir that’s set to become Turkey’s new cultural hotspot.
Odunpazarı Modern Museum is designed by the internationally acclaimed Japanese architecture firm Kengo Kuma and Associates.
Kengo Kuma and Associates describes its philosophy as “Amalgamating nature and architecture in a manner that creates a strong bond between the ‘building’ and its ‘location’.” In his design of the OMM building, the architect thus reinterprets the historic fabric of the Odunpazarı district with a contemporary perspective. Paying homage to the local architecture of Odunpazarı, Ottoman dome architecture, and traditional Japanese architecture, OMM’s design is highlighted by four major components: geometry, light, stacking, and timber. Breaking away from conventional design through the transformation of simple geometric lines into complex images, the high-quality light entering the building, and the non-linear forms, the architectural stacking and the timber construction system alluding to the historic fabric of Odunpazarı constitute the sources of inspiration for the architecture of the museum building.
OMM – Odunpazarı Modern Art Foundation was founded in 2019 with the aim of contributing towards the development of cultural, social, and artistic life through events and activities centered on the familiarization and popularization of culture and arts in society, the advancement of art education, the support for artistic and cultural production, and the transmission of cultural values to future generations. OMM – Odunpazarı Modern Museum operates under the auspices of this foundation.
Monocle 24’s “The Menu” talks to Lisbon’s rising culinary talent, João Sá, owner and chef of SÁLA.
It is called SÁLA and it bears the Chef surname because here he wants to receive us as if it were the dinning room of his own house. An intimate space, where the open kitchen invites you to know the chef’s suggestions. Here the flavors will go on to the rhythm of the seasons. In a room that will seat 34 diners with a cleaned and luminous portuguese interior design.
The space is dominated by light and bright wood. This Pombaline room recovered by the ForStudio architecture studio highlights a decorative element, a central area in brushed brass. This element ties in perfectly with the other colors present in the menu and in other remarks: gold over blue.
The kitchen has been going through the life of João Sá since forever. At 12 he was already creating gastronomic events at school and at age 14, his interest in everything that was practical and manual took him to the Estoril Turism and HospitalitySchool. It was an early entry into the demanding kitchen world and the path was intense and pulse-free.
Alexander Walton Masters is the managing director of The Out, an on-demand luxury car-rental company that exists to help Londoners escape the city.
The company was born out of Jaguar Land Rover’s venture-capital arm InMotion, which incubates and invests in companies in the mobility space. From delivery to pick-up of its Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles, The Out aims to take away the usual pains of renting.
This Spanish region is home to many large-scale producers, but at Castillo de Cuzcurrita things are done differently. Vintner Ana Martin Onzain unveils how their aged wines – grown and made exclusively in this small village – bring people together.
HISTORY: Little is known of its history of Cuzcurrita prior to the 14th century. On 15 November 1367, King Enrique II of Castile rewarded the Alcalde Mayor of the Hijosdalgo of Castile, Juan Martínez de Rojas by granting him the title of Feudal Lord of Cuzcurrita with all its lands and rights.
In the 16th century, during the reign of Philip II, the 9th Lord of Cuzcurrita, Pedro Velasco, bastard son of Bernardino de Velasco and the wife of Pedro Suárez de Figueroa, established the entailed estate by marrying Marta de Rojas y Osorio, carving his coat of arms over the entrance to the castle.The fortress, which had been erected by the Suárez Figeroa family between the 14th and 15th centuries, remained in the hands of the Velasco-Rojas family until the last century, subsequently passing through various hands until it was bought by the Sáinz de Incháustegui family, Counts of Alacha, in 1947, who went on to restore it and make it their family home.
Within the irregular square floor plan of this fortress stands the keep, one of the most characteristic of its kind in La Rioja due to the harmony of its dimensions and its few arched openings. This square tower rises from right in the middle of the castle with small, rectangular openings.