Getty Images photojournalist Justin Sullivan has been following California’s second-largest reservoir’s declining water levels since 2014. Seeing first-hand the climate’s impact through his lens, he’s shocked at how fast the water is gone in one of California’s most important water sources.
Pittsburgh is a city in western Pennsylvania at the junction of 3 rivers. Its Gilded Age sites, including the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, the Carnegie Museum of Art and the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, speak to its history as an early-20th-century industrial capital. In the North Shore neighborhood are the modern Andy Warhol Museum, Heinz Field football stadium and PNC Park baseball stadium.
The Audi e-tron FE07 is the thoroughbred fully electric race car from the brand with the four rings, part of the third season with the second generation of Formula E race cars. It carried Audi factory drivers Lucas di Grassi and René Rast in the seventh Formula E season, Audi’s farewell season.
August 17, 2021: Afghanistan, central bank chief flees Kabul, Storm Fred, Robert Durst, Haiti quake
1. Military flights evacuating diplomats and civilians from Afghanistan resumed after the runway at Kabul airport was cleared of thousands of people desperate to flee after the Taliban seized the capital.
2. The head of Afghanistan’s central bank has fled Kabul, questioned the loyalty of Afghan security forces and blamed President Ashraf Ghani and his inexperienced advisors for the country’s swift and chaotic fall to the Taliban.
3. Tropical Storm Fred slammed the Florida Panhandle, making landfall with a wet slap of heavy rain and blasting winds.
4. Real estate heir Robert Durst testified to chopping up the body of a Texas neighbor he killed in self-defense and to abandoning the body of his best friend after discovering her dead in her Beverly Hills home during his Los Angeles murder trial.
5. Heavy rains lashed Haiti, complicating rescue efforts and drenching thousands left homeless by a devastating earthquake that killed at least 1,419 people.
Clean drinking water is vital – but for many people, accessing it is difficult and expensive. A pastor in an Indonesian village encourages people to make use of a dependable water supply that comes free of charge: rainwater.
Greifswald, officially the University and Hanseatic City of Greifswald is a city in northeastern Germany. It is situated in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, at an equal distance of about 250 km from Germany’s two largest cities, Berlin and Hamburg, and 80 km from the Polish border.
London, the capital of England and the United Kingdom, is a 21st-century city with history stretching back to Roman times. At its centre stand the imposing Houses of Parliament, the iconic ‘Big Ben’ clock tower and Westminster Abbey, site of British monarch coronations. Across the Thames River, the London Eye observation wheel provides panoramic views of the South Bank cultural complex, and the entire city.