NPR’s Tamara Keith and Amy Walter of the Cook Political Report join William Brangham to discuss the latest political news, including the infrastructure deal, Congress’ packed summer agenda and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s political future after sexual harassment allegations.
Chinese tech stocks popular among U.S. investors have tumbled amid the country’s regulatory crackdown on technology firms. WSJ explains some of the new risks investors face when buying shares of companies like Didi or Tencent. Photo Composite: Michelle Inez Simon
In this virtual art opening and gallery walk-through, Getty curator Virginia Heckert guides you through two exhibitions of photography: Mario Giacomelli: Figure/Ground and The Expanded Landscape. The galleries reveal Giacomelli’s stunning, high-contrast black and white images made in and around the photographer’s hometown of Senigallia on the Adriatic coast of Italy in the late 20th century. Also presented are works in The Expanded Landscape, which focuses on contemporary photographers whose innovative approaches and insightful observations expand concepts of “landscape.” Learn more about the exhibition: https://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions…
This $30 million Super Scooper is the only plane in the world that was designed specifically to fight wildfires. The aircraft performs a dangerous dive down to a body of water, scoops up 1,400 gallons of water in 12 seconds, and drops its load of water on raging forest fires. We went inside this massive aircraft to find out how it works, what it takes to fly it, and why it’s considered the most efficient aerial-firefighting aircraft in the world.
The island of Murano is renowned for its long tradition of glass-making. Ferry-loads of visitors come to explore the Museo del Vetro, which tells the story of glass through the centuries, and to shop for locally crafted souvenirs. Built in the Romanesque style, the Church of Santa Maria and San Donato has a colorful mosaic floor and supposedly houses the bones of a slain dragon.
Recorded On 01 August 2021
Video timeline: 0:00:00 – Intro 0:01:25 – Murano Faro Vaporetto Station 0:11:46 – Campo Santo Stefano 0:14:14 – Ponte Longo 0:25:00 – Campo San Donato 0:31:26 – Ponte de le terese 0:35:21 – Campo S. Bernardo 0:40:28 – Ponte Longo 0:49:54 – Murano Colonna Vaporetto Station
Spectacular Insects in Flight Slow Motion Footage captured at 5.000 fps and 1000×1000 pixel image resolution. All insects were released after filming them with Photron Fastcam Nova S16 and Laowa 60mm 2:1 macro lens.
Five stories to know for August 9:
1. A raging wildfire in northern California is now the second-largest recorded in state history, officials said.
2. A senior aide to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo resigned in the wake of a state attorney general’s report that the governor sexually harassed 11 women.
3. The U.S. Senate moved slowly on Sunday toward passing a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill, held back by one Republican lawmaker who opposed speeding up a vote on the nation’s biggest investment in roads and bridges in decades.
4. Thousands of people have fled their homes on the Greek island of Evia as wildfires burned uncontrolled, with ferries on standby for more evacuations after taking many to safety by sea.
5. Extreme heat waves that previously only struck once every 50 years are now expected to happen once per decade because of global warming, a UN climate science report said.