Amazon is on a spending spree to grow its fleet of planes, vans, semitrucks and drivers in its latest move to compete with FedEx and UPS. Now, it’s using the added capacity to move cargo for outside customers, betting big on the business of third-party shipping while also shipping 72% of its own packages. CNBC talks to former Amazon executives and current customers using the shipping services to find out all about the behemoth’s next big move.
This $30 million Super Scooper is the only plane in the world that was designed specifically to fight wildfires. The aircraft performs a dangerous dive down to a body of water, scoops up 1,400 gallons of water in 12 seconds, and drops its load of water on raging forest fires. We went inside this massive aircraft to find out how it works, what it takes to fly it, and why it’s considered the most efficient aerial-firefighting aircraft in the world.
The P-51 was the darling of the Army Air Forces. Aerodynamically agile and acrobatic, the Mustang was fast and furious in its effectiveness in downing enemy aircraft. A latecomer to World War II, it first saw combat over Europe near the end of 1943. The long-range fighter proved to be just what the Allies needed to escort bombers to and from Germany as they hammered enemy targets.
“In terms of the air war over Europe with the strategic bombing campaign, the P-51 was a war-winning weapon,” says Jeremy Kinney, associate director of research and curatorial affairs at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum. “As a fighter escort, it enabled the successful bombing of targets deep in Nazi Germany from bases in England and Italy. That was a crucial component in the destruction of strategic sites such as factories and munition plants.”
Boeing and Airbus dominate global aviation, but China’s Comac wants to challenge the duopoly with new planes. WSJ’s Jon Sindreu explains how supply chains, technology and geopolitics could help the Western aircraft makers to protect key markets. Photo Composite: George Downs
A flying car has successfully completed its first intercity flight between two airports in Slovakia. The prototype, called AirCar, took off from Nitra and landed in Bratislava 35 minutes later. Using wings that fold away in less than three minutes and a propeller at its rear, the dual-transportation vehicle has now completed more than 40 hours of test flight.
United Airlines has just announced that it will be the first US airline to operate supersonic passenger aircraft from Boom Supersonic. The airline will take 15 Boom Overture aircraft, with an option for 35 more, hopefully in service by 2029.
Article Link: https://simpleflying.com/united-airli…
As the pandemic continues to weigh on the aviation industry, Chinese aircraft manufacturer Comac has been pushing ahead with testing a new passenger jet. If successful, the C919 could rival Boeing and Airbus in the largest aviation market in the world. Photo illustration: Sharon Shi
Airbus has revealed three concepts for the world’s first zero-emission commercial aircraft which could enter service by 2035. These concepts each represent a different approach to achieving zero-emission flight, exploring various technology pathways and aerodynamic configurations in order to support the company’s ambition of leading the way in the decarbonisation of the entire aviation industry.
All of these concepts rely on hydrogen as a primary power source – an option which Airbus believes holds exceptional promise as a clean aviation fuel and is likely to be a solution for aerospace and many other industries to meet their climate-neutral targets.
The three concepts – all codenamed “ZEROe” – for a first climate neutral zero-emission commercial aircraft include:
•A turbofan design (120-200 passengers) with a range of 2,000+ nautical miles, capable of operating transcontinentally and powered by a modified gas-turbine engine running on hydrogen, rather than jet fuel, through combustion. The liquid hydrogen will be stored and distributed via tanks located behind the rear pressure bulkhead.
• A turboprop design (up to 100 passengers) using a turboprop engine instead of a turbofan and also powered by hydrogen combustion in modified gas-turbine engines, which would be capable of traveling more than 1,000 nautical miles, making it a perfect option for short-haul trips.
• A “blended-wing body” design (up to 200 passengers) concept in which the wings merge with the main body of the aircraft with a range similar to that of the turbofan concept. The exceptionally wide fuselage opens up multiple options for hydrogen storage and distribution, and for cabin layout.
As much of the aviation industry fights to survive the coronavirus pandemic, some economists and engineers see the crisis as an opportunity to use stimulus funds to propel air travel to a carbon-neutral future.
Photo illustration: George Downs
Featured Electric Aircraft and Airplanes:
- 0:28 Bye Electric eFlyer All-electric training aircraft https://electricflyer.com/ Starts at USD $350,000
- 1:18 Yuneec E430 Low maintenance & simple to fly https://www.yuneec.com/en_US/home.html Starts at USD $89,000
- 1:58 Eviation Alice World’s first all-electric commuter https://www.eviation.co/ Starts at USD $4,000,000
- 2:49 Colomban Cri-Cri Smallest twin-motored manned aircraft Designed by Michel Colomban. Price depends on the build
- 3:34 EuroSport Crossover Two-seat motor glider Designed by Eurosport Aircraft Price unavailable
- 4:17 Long ESA Aircraft First electric aircraft to break 200 mph http://www.flightofthecentury.com/ Price depends on the build
- 4:54 Pipistrel ALPHA Electro World’s first two-seat electric trainer https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/ Starts at USD $98,000
- 5:49 AutoFlightX V600 Dual-wing, two-seater https://autoflightx.com/ Price unavailable
- 6:45 Pipistrel Taurus Electro First electric production two-seater https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/ Starts at USD $129,500
- 7:40 Airbus A3 Vahana Single-seat, tilt-wing eVTOL https://www.airbus.com/ Price unavailable
- 8:33 Sunseeker Duo First two-seat, solar powered airplane https://www.solar-flight.com/ Price unavailable
- 9:25 Ruppert Archaeopteryx High-wing, pod-and-boom, micro lift glider https://www.ruppert-composite.ch/en/ Starts at USD $78,000
- 10:17 NASA X-57 Maxwell Experimental aircraft from…NASA! https://www.nasa.gov/ Price unavailable
- 11:18 Solar Impulse 1 Experimental, long-range solar aircraft https://solarimpulse.com/ Price unavailable
- 12:12 Antares 23E Self-launch capable sailplane https://www.lange-aviation.com/ Price unavailable