A ride in the bulb flower region of the province of South-Holland in the Netherlands.
South Holland is a province of the Netherlands with a population of just over 3.7 million as of November 2019 and a population density of about 1,373/km², making it the country’s most populous province and one of the world’s most densely populated areas.
As the world’s largest aircraft carrier in the world’s dominant navy, the USS Gerald R. Ford is gargantuan. The aircraft carrier took eight years to build, several more years to test, and is large enough to tower over the biggest building in plenty of large towns. Named for the 38th President of the United States, the Gerald Ford is the lead ship of the US navy. It clocks in at over 1,000ft or nearly three American football fields in length, and nearly 250 feet high. Contained in that massive space, the aircraft carrier also has a whopping 25 decks. The massive ship, which can house over 4,500 people and carry over 75 aircraft, is powered by two nuclear reactors, and fully-loaded, weighs in at over 100,000 tonnes. That makes her the largest warship ever constructed. The total building cost is estimated at over 17 billion dollars, including 5 billion spent on research alone. After several delays it came in at 22% over the intended budget.
Emirates, the long-haul carrier known for its luxury services, has set new standards for the way we travel. Like airlines everywhere, the carrier has been battered by the coronavirus pandemic. To keep customers safe and on board, Emirates adopted a variety of new protocols. The company also pivoted to cargo shipments to keep itself afloat. So will Emirates bounce back from the economic fallout pummeling the airline industry?
A growing number of colleges around the country will require students to get Covid-19 vaccinations before returning to campus. But the policies are igniting a debate over whether businesses and institutions like schools can make vaccines a condition of attendance. Photo: Northeastern University
We’re in Tribeca at another distinct addition to the New York City skyline – the one that has come to be known a the Jenga building – for obvious reasons. We’re inside one of the penthouses with architect Denis Schofield who created a warm yet unique home against the backdrop of some of the best views of the city you’ll ever see.
Five stories to know for April 27: North Carolina shooting, Justice Department’s probe into Breonna Taylor’s death, Republicans’ drive to recall Gavin Newsom, India’s COVID deaths near 200,000 and fighting in Myanmar.
1. Attorneys for the family of Andrew Brown Jr., a Black man shot by sheriff’s deputies in North Carolina during an attempted arrest last week, said body camera footage showed Brown had been “executed”.
2. The Justice Department launched a civil probe of the Louisville, Kentucky, police department whose officers last year fatally shot Breonna Taylor in a botched raid.
3. A Republican-led effort to recall California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom has garnered enough valid signatures to make the ballot.
4. Vital medical supplies poured into India as hospitals starved of life-saving oxygen and beds turned away coronavirus patients, while a surge in infections pushed the death toll towards 200,000.
5. Ethnic minority Karen insurgents attacked a Myanmar army outpost near the Thai border in some of the most intense clashes since a military coup threw the country into crisis.
Mobile is a port city on Alabama’s Gulf Coast. The WWII-era USS Alabama battleship is anchored in Battleship Memorial Park. Floats, costumes and photos at the Mobile Carnival Museum illuminate the city’s centuries-old Mardi Gras tradition. The 1850 Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception features intricate German stained glass. International fine and decorative art is displayed at the Mobile Museum of Art.
Florence, capital of Italy’s Tuscany region, is home to many masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture. One of its most iconic sights is the Duomo, a cathedral with a terracotta-tiled dome engineered by Brunelleschi and a bell tower by Giotto. The Galleria dell’Accademia displays Michelangelo’s “David” sculpture. The Uffizi Gallery exhibits Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus” and da Vinci’s “Annunciation.”