February 2, 2023: A look ahead to the EU-Ukraine summit. Plus: Belgium’s crackdown on Russian diamonds, the return of the ball season in Vienna, a flick through today’s papers and the latest from Copenhagen Fashion Week.
Modern Vienna has undergone several historical incarnations. From 1558 to 1918 it was an imperial city—until 1806 the seat of the Holy Roman Empire and then the capital of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1918 it became the capital of the truncated, landlocked central European country that emerged from World War I as a republic. From 1938 to 1945 Austria was a part of Adolf Hitler’s “Greater” Germany, and Vienna became “Greater” Vienna, reflecting the Nazi revision of the city limits.
In the decade following World War II, Austria was occupied by British, French, American, and Soviet forces, and Vienna was divided into five zones, including an international zone, covering the Innere Stadt (“Inner City”). In 1955 the State Treaty, by which the country regained independence, was signed with the four occupying powers, and Vienna became once again the capital of a sovereign Austria.
Filmed on January 22, 2023 by: Travel and Adventure Studios
Monocle Films (December 14, 2022) – The world is urbanising fast. But how do you accommodate people in cities in a way that offers dignity, affordability and a sense of community? Vienna may have a solution. Explore the enduring legacy of the city’s ‘Gemeindebau’ apartment blocks in the latest episode of our Design Tours series.
From mid-November until Christmas 2022, Vienna’s most beautiful squares are once again transformed into magical Christmas markets. The aroma of Christmas baking, hot punch and toasted almonds wafts through the air. The Old City and shopping streets are decorated with festive lights that spread the Christmas cheer in Vienna.
A tall arched gateway with candles welcomes visitors at the entrance to the Viennese Christmas Market on City Hall Square. The traditional Christmas Market offers Christmas gifts, Christmas tree decorations, handicrafts, culinary treats, confectionery, and warming drinks. At the Vienna Ice World at the Christmas Market, ice skaters can put on their skates and make rounds through the romantically illuminated City Hall Park. A special attraction for couples in love is the tree of hearts. For children, there’s a 12 meter-high multi-level carousel and in the park a Christmas world with reindeer train, nativity scene trail, children’s chalet, and a designated skating ring.
Our weekend programme comes live from Monocle’s radio studio in Zürich, where Tyler Brûlé and a panel of special-guest thought leaders discuss key topics in front of a studio audience.
From Milan: Salone highlights, interviews and a daily running guide. More info.
The Neuer Markt (New Market), one of the oldest squares in Vienna, is located west of the Karntner street (Kärntner Straße). During the Second World War, the square was heavily damaged. Many buildings were lost and replaced by modern ones.
The most famous building on the Neuer Markt is the Capuchin Church (Kapuzinerkirche). Below it is the resting place of the Habsburgs in the Capuchin Crypt. Nearby you’ll find the Ambassador Hotel and the house built for the Gebrüder Wild, a former traditional delicacy shop built in the style of the German Renaissance with a facade of the “Old German period”. Also check out the Mayseder house, one of the oldest houses on the square, and the premises of the traditional jeweler AE Köchert.
The Baroque gardens of the Belvedere rank among the most beautiful in the world. The main garden is situated between the Lower and the Upper Belvedere and extends over three large terraces.
Video timeline: 0:00 Belvedere Gardens 5:10 Upper Belvedere 11:35 Prinz Eugen Straße 14:05 Upper Belvedere 17:40 Belvedere Gardens 35:30 Privy Garden 36:30 Lower Belvedere 41:45 Rennweg 43:05 Lower Belvedere
The design, by Dominique Girard, garden architect of the Elector of Bavaria, showcases all the essential elements of Baroque garden architecture: symmetrical flower parterres, water basins, tiers and steps, trimmed hedges, and more. On the south side of the Upper Belvedere, the reflection pond offers a sophisticated visual: the mirroring effect creates a visible duplication of the monumental palace façade.
President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen heads to the Middle East. Plus: Boris Johnson’s plan to alter the Northern Ireland protocol, Wikipedia fights a Russian order to remove information on the conflict in Ukraine and are Vienna’s famous horse-drawn carriages under threat?
Monocle’s editorial director Tyler Brûlé and panellists Christof Münger and Eemeli Isoaho on the weekend’s biggest talking points. Plus: we check in with our friends and contributors in London, Vienna and Tokyo.
The Prater is a large public park in Leopoldstadt, Vienna, Austria. The Wurstelprater, an amusement park that is often simply called “Prater”, lies in one corner of the Wiener Prater and includes the Wiener Riesenrad Ferris wheel.
The area that makes up the modern Prater was first mentioned in 1162, when Emperor Friedrich I gave the land to a noble family called de Prato. The word “Prater” was first used in 1403, originally referring to a small island in the Danube north of Freudenau, but was gradually extended to mean the neighbouring areas as well. The land changed hands frequently until it was bought by Emperor Maximilian II in 1560 to be a hunting ground.
To deal with the problem of poachers, Emperor Rudolf II forbade entry to the Prater. On 7 April 1766, Emperor Joseph II declared the Prater to be free for public enjoyment, and allowed the establishment of coffee-houses and cafés, which led to the beginnings of the Wurstelprater. Throughout this time, hunting continued to take place in the Prater, ending only in 1920.
In 1873, a World Exhibition was held in the Prater, for which a large area of land was set aside, centered on the Rotunda, which burnt down in 1937. This land now houses the Messegelände (exhibition centre).
On the grounds of modern-day Kaiserwiese, an attraction called “Venice in Vienna” was established in 1895 by Gabor Steiner. The area included an artificial lagoon to simulate the canals of Venice, Italy.