NPR’s Tamara Keith and Amy Walter of the Cook Political Report join Judy Woodruff to discuss the latest political news, including New York City’s mayoral election, America’s vaccine divide between states, and the progress on President Joe Biden’s infrastructure package.
Daily Archives: June 21, 2021
Fishing Villages: ‘Reine’, Lofoten Islands, Norway
Reine is the administrative centre of Moskenes Municipality in Nordland county, Norway. The fishing village is located on the island of Moskenesøya in the Lofoten archipelago, above the Arctic Circle, about 300 kilometres southwest of the town of Tromsø.
News: Top 5 Stories For June 21, 2021 (Reuters)
Five stories to know for June 21:
1. Democrats in the U.S. Senate this week will try to advance legislation setting new national election standards, seeking to counter voting-rights rollbacks that Republican legislatures are pursuing across the country.
2. Nine children and a young father were killed when a van and other vehicles slammed together on a rain-drenched Alabama highway during Tropical Storm Claudette.
3. A bipartisan infrastructure plan costing a little over $1 trillion has been gaining support in the U.S. Senate, but disputes continued over how it should be funded.
4. Western officials warned Tehran that negotiations to revive its nuclear deal could not continue indefinitely, after the sides announced a break following the election of a new hardline president in Iran.
5. Ethiopians voted in national and regional elections that the country’s prime minister has billed as proof of his commitment to democracy after decades of repressive rule in Africa’s second-most populous nation.
Art History: ‘Starry Night’ By Vincent Van Gogh (1889)
Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night, 1889 (June, Saint Rémy), oil on canvas, 73.7 x 92.1 cm (The Museum of Modern Art) Speakers: Dr. Beth Harris and Dr. Steven Zucker
Aerial View: Canyonlands National Park, Utah (4K)
Canyonlands National Park in southeastern Utah is known for its dramatic desert landscape carved by the Colorado River. Island in the Sky is a huge, flat-topped mesa with panoramic overlooks. Other notable areas include the towering rock pinnacles known as the Needles, the remote canyons of the Maze and the Native American rock paintings in Horseshoe Canyon. Whitewater rapids flow through Cataract Canyon.
Morning News: Low-Wage Workers, Big Tech Stocks, Remote Work In Hawaii
A.M. Edition for June 21. WSJ’s Eric Morath on why employers competing for low-wage workers are offering signing bonuses and other perks.
Big tech stocks face a new landscape in 2021. Plus, working remotely in Hawaii may not be as simple as some think. Marc Stewart hosts.
Walks: Monastiraki Area Of Athens, Greece (4K)
Lively Monastiraki is known for iconic landmarks including the ruins of Hadrian’s Library, the Ancient Agora and the rebuilt Stoa of Attalos, with a museum exhibiting Athenian artifacts. Monastiraki Flea Market is a jumble of shops selling artisanal soaps, handmade sandals and souvenir T-shirts. The surrounding streets are crammed with traditional tavernas and restaurants, many with Acropolis views.
Athens is the capital of Greece. It was also at the heart of Ancient Greece, a powerful civilization and empire. The city is still dominated by 5th-century BC landmarks, including the Acropolis, a hilltop citadel topped with ancient buildings like the colonnaded Parthenon temple. The Acropolis Museum, along with the National Archaeological Museum, preserves sculptures, vases, jewelry and more from Ancient Greece.