John Carroll (December 2022) – East Kilbride is the largest town in South Lanarkshire in Scotland and the country’s sixth-largest locality by population. It was also designated Scotland’s first new town on 6 May 1947.
Mains Castle lies just to the north of East Kilbride, and is easily visible from the public path around the loch of the James Hamilton Heritage Park. It is a free-standing rectangular tower house on a mound, with a square caphouse providing access to the wallwalk in one corner of the tower. Historically there were additional buildings clustered around the tower, but there are no traces of these now. Mains Castle is privately owned and is occupied.