Massimo Nalli – Gorizia is a town and comune in northeastern Italy, in the autonomous region of Friuli Venezia Giulia. It is located at the foot of the Julian Alps, bordering Slovenia. It was the capital of the former Province of Gorizia and is a local center of tourism, industry, and commerce.
The video shows the main attractions of the city of Gorizia. The city forms an urban area integrated also administratively with the Slovenian municipalities of Nova Gorica and San Pietro-Vertoiba. The territory of the Slovenian city of Nova Gorica was an integral part of the municipality of Gorizia until 1947, when Istria and a large part of Venezia Giulia were ceded to Yugoslavia following the Treaty of Paris.
- – Gorizia Cathedral: dedicated to the Aquileian saints Ilario and Taziano and elevated to the rank of cathedral in 1752, it is the main ecclesiastical building in Gorizia. – Church of Sant’Ignazio: It is a Baroque building erected between 1654 and 1723-1724, which was consecrated only in 1767. While the facade is a synthesis of Austrian and Latin elements, the interior is of purely Latin derivation. It contains valuable paintings and frescoes. – Castle of Gorizia: Perhaps the best known monument of the city, it stands on the highest point of a steep hill. The manor welcomes visitors with a Venetian lion, which however is not the one that was affixed by the Republic of Venice during the brief occupation of the city (1508-1509) but by the fascist government, after a radical restoration, which ended in 1937. Closed at the time of my visit.
- – Piazza della Vittoria; The largest in the city, overlooked by the church of Sant’Ignazio. Here we also find the Casa Torriana, of sixteenth-century origin, today the seat of the Prefecture. Among the many illustrious guests who lived there, there was also Giacomo Casanova, who stayed there in 1773. In the center of the square is the Fountain of Neptune, built in the mid-eighteenth century by the Paduan Marco Chiereghin on a project by Nicolò Pacassi, while in front to the church of Sant’Ignazio there is the Column of Sant’Ignazio, donated by Count Andrea di Porcia and placed here in 1687.
- – Piazza Sant’Antonio: Bordered by an airy colonnade, which once belonged to the cloister of a convent founded in the thirteenth century – as legend has it – by Saint Anthony of Padua. Two of the most interesting buildings in the city overlook the square, the Palazzo dei Baroni Lantieri and the Palazzo dei Conti di Strassoldo. – Piazza della Transalpina: The Piazza della Transalpina takes its name from the Jesenice-Trieste railway line to which the station located in Slovenian territory belongs. This stretch, which was inaugurated by Archduke Francesco Ferdinando in 1906, connects Trieste with Jesenice and then enters Central Europe. In modern times the whole square appears to have been restructured to form a single public space where the free movement of pedestrians is allowed. In place of the central part of the Wall of Gorizia that divided the square there is a circular mosaic and the state border – the physical barrier removed – is now indicated by a line of stone tiles.
- – Piazza Camillo Benso count of Cavour: bounded by the linear facade of the Palazzo degli Stati Provinciali, which now houses the Police Headquarters. Built in 1200 and enlarged in the sixteenth century, the palace was the seat of the “fathers of the Gorizia homeland”, the assembly, which included representatives of the nobility, the clergy and the county, who administered the city and its territory for six centuries. . Other ancient buildings overlook the square: the sixteenth-century Casa del Comune, with its characteristic projection on the upper floors, home of the Gastaldo; the Casa degli Ungrispach, one of the oldest in the city, in late Gothic style, on whose facade stands a plaque with the date Mccccxli. Note the presence of ancient houses at the entrance to via Rastello.