August 2, 2021: Eviction ban, Moratorium extension, Delta variant, Turkey wildfires, Tanker attack
1. A pandemic-related U.S. government ban on residential evictions expired at midnight, putting millions of American renters at risk of being forced from their homes.
2. Democratic leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives called on the Biden administration to immediately extend a moratorium on housing evictions through Oct. 18.
3. The United States will not lock down again to curb COVID-19 but “things are going to get worse” as the Delta variant fuels a surge in cases, mostly among the unvaccinated, Dr. Anthony Fauci said.
4. The death toll from wildfires on Turkey’s southern coast rose to eight on Sunday as firefighters battled for a fifth day to contain blazes still raging in coastal resort towns.
5. The United States and Britain said they believed Iran carried out an attack on an Israeli-managed petroleum product tanker off the coast of Oman on Thursday that killed a Briton and a Romanian, both pledging to work with partners to respond.