Castel Gandolfo, colloquially just Castello in the Castelli Romani dialects, is a town located 25 kilometres southeast of Rome in the Lazio region of Italy.
Lake Albano is a small volcanic crater lake in the Alban Hills of Lazio, at the foot of Monte Cavo, 20 km southeast of Rome. Castel Gandolfo, overlooking the lake, is the site of the Papal Palace of Castel Gandolfo. It hosted the canoeing and rowing events of the 1960 Summer Olympic Games that were held in Rome.
Rome, Italian Roma, historic city and capital of Roma provincia (province), of Lazioregione (region), and of the country of Italy. Rome is located in the central portion of the Italian peninsula, on the Tiber River about 15 miles (24 km) inland from the Tyrrhenian Sea. Once the capital of an ancient republic and empire whose armies and polity defined the Western world in antiquity and left seemingly indelible imprints thereafter, the spiritual and physical seat of the Roman Catholic Church, and the site of major pinnacles of artistic and intellectual achievement, Rome is the Eternal City, remaining today a political capital, a religious centre, and a memorial to the creative imagination of the past. Area city, 496 square miles (1,285 square km); province, 2,066 square miles (5,352 square km). Pop. (2011) city, 2,617,175; province, 3,997,465; (2007 est.) urban agglom., 3,339,000; (2016 est.) city, 2,873,494; province, 4,353,738.
Lazio is a central Italian region bordering the Tyrrhenian Sea. Its principal city, Rome, is Italy’s capital and was at the heart of the ancient Roman Empire. Its iconic ruins include the Coliseum, an amphitheater that seated thousands. On the coast, the ancient port of Ostia still retains detailed mosaics and a theater. Inland are the forested Apennine Mountains, with nature reserves, lakes and stone-built villages.
Itri is a small city and comune the province of Latina, Lazio, central Italy. Itri is an agricultural centre divided in two parts by a small river, the Pontone. It lies in a valley between the Monti Aurunci and the sea, not far from the Gulf of Gaeta.
Vallerano is a comune in the Province of Viterbo in the Italian region Latium, located about 60 kilometres northwest of Rome and about 13 kilometres southeast of Viterbo. Vallerano borders the following municipalities: Canepina, Caprarola, Carbognano, Fabrica di Roma, Soriano nel Cimino, Vignanello.
Bassiano is a municipality in the Province of Latina in the Italian region Lazio, located about 60 kilometres southeast of Rome and about 14 kilometres northeast of Latina. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 1,664 and an area of 31.6 square kilometres.
𝗧𝗶𝗺𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 🔻 0:00 – [Drone intro] 1:30 – [Walking tour begins / Northern gate] 3:34 – [Via Manunzio] 10:28 – [“Gate of the Holy Souls” / Archangel Micheal – the angel is visible past the gate on the left] 15:00 – [Via Giulio Bernardini] 19:32 – [Gate “Decarcia Tower” – holes for the ancient door still visible. On a house nearby there is scupted the head of God Fauno] 21:20 – […tour continues…] 24:12 – [Beautiful view on stone stairs] 30:00 – [Beautiful little square] 31:28 – [St.Erasmus Square & Chrcuh (closd unfortunately)] 33:20 – […tour continues…] 34:34 – [Suggestive interior hallway] 35:20 – […tour continues…] 39:50 – [*Poem on Bassiano* – 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘀𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀] 41:29 – [Via Manunzio] 43:04 – [Inside the town again] 46:25 – [Northern wall hallway] 49:05 – [Outside the Walls / Monument to the fallen soldiers of the town]
The history of Bassiano certainly begins around the 10th century and starts with a small group of shepherds and farmers forced to take refuge in this place completely covered by the view of the plain, due to the continuous barbarian raids. The first written records of Bassiano date back to 1169. In a document found in the archive of the collegiate church of Santa Maria in Sermoneta, reference is made to the recovery of the Castrum stolen by deception by a certain Gregorio Leonis from a Lord of Bassiano. 𝗠𝗶𝗱𝗱𝗹𝗲 𝗔𝗴𝗲𝘀 In 1240, Pope Gregory IX appointed Tasmondo Annibaldi as Lord of the Castles of Sermoneta and Bassiano, to thank him for the help received against the invasion attempts of Frederick II. The Annibaldi ruled the town until 1297 when the castle passed into the possession of the Caetani who ruled it until the fiefs were abolished, except for a decade (1492 – 1502) in which the Borgias ruled. The history of Bassiano is profoundly marked by the action of the spiritual movements of the 13th and 14th centuries, which were the promoters of a social renewal, also by the Knights Templar who, it is believed, have left the mark of their passage here. 𝗥𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗶𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 It was only at the beginning of the 16th century that the Caetani, with the construction of the Baronial palace, left an imprint of their dominion on the land of Bassiano. It was Bonifacio Caetani who in 1554 had an important palace built, as a refuge from the dangers of the swamp and a place of treatment for his ill health. The palace incorporates in its interior houses and medieval shops that the Caetani had bought in the 15th century in the “Porta salamandra” area which was the main access road to the Castrum. Important citizen of the town is the humanist typographer Aldo Manuzio.
Collepardo is a small commune and town located in the Lazzio region in Italy in the province of Frosinone. The town is located close to Rome and Frosinone. The area of Collepardo is 25 sq. km and the population is close to 950.
Collepardo is not really a tourist destination; however, several people who visit Rome and Frosinone come to Collepardo as a day excursion. The economy of the town is based on agriculture and production of olive oil. The locals in town have a laid back lifestyle and the village like atmosphere is what attracts many people to Collepardo.
Barbarano Romano is a comune in the Province of Viterbo in the Italian region Latium, located about 50 kilometres northwest of Rome and about 20 kilometres south of Viterbo. Barbarano Romano borders the following municipalities: Blera, Capranica, Vejano, Vetralla, Villa San Giovanni in Tuscia.
Video timeline: 0:00 – [Brief Intro] 2:05 – [Tour begins] 2:28 – [*Roman Gate*] 7:50 – [*Church of St.Angel*] 12:44 – [Via Roma] 13:54 – [Largo di Porta Canale] 17:30 – [*Municipal Palace*] 18:28 – [*Church of St.Maria Assunta*] 26:00 – [Panormaa on the countryside] 26:30 – [Back into the town] 30:42 – [*Church of the Cross*] 33:00 – [Back into the town] 39:54 – [Via Garibaldi] 42:23 – [*City Walls*]
The town consists of a first nucleus probably dating back to the 10th century, to which are added various buildings, from the 13th to the 17th century. It constitutes an example of a medieval village, with a main central road flanked by two secondary parallels, stretched on the wedge between two gorges and closed by walls with quadrilateral open-gorge towers dating back to 14th century, further lined by a wall towards the end of the 15th century with the addition of circular towers. The volcanic hill on which the town stands was probably the seat of a village from the Ancient Bronze Age in prehistoric times, as attested by the numerous artefacts identified at the foot of the acrocoro. However, news of a permanent settlement only dates back to the Middle Ages. Almost at the end of the main street, Via Vittorio Emanuele, until 1930 stood a pentagonal tower that was left over from a Longobard fortress, known as Desiderio – the last Lombard King who around 771 fortified Viterbo and the nearby villages to counter the Franks of Charlemagne. An original marble plaque from 1280 – located at the entrance to the main church of S. Maria Assunta – indicates that it was built in 1280, during the vacant seat of the papacy following the death of Pope Nicholas III Orsini. Barbarano was therefore part of the Longobard Roman Duchy which, following the donation of Liutprando in 728, had then become a possession of the Church in the eighth century. Feud of the Anguillara family in the 14th century, then it passed to the Orsini and finally to the Borgias in the 15th century.