Still Wanderer (March 17, 2023) – Artena is a charming town in the province of Rome, about 30 kilometers from the capital. A small town of ancient origins perched northwest of the Lepini Mountains, in the upper valley of the Sacco River, with a very interesting historic center of rare beauty. Because of the uniqueness of the historic center and other interesting sights, it is really worth visiting this Latium village that presents itself to tourists as truly amazing.
Monterubbiano is a town and commune in the Province of Fermo, in the Marche region of Italy. It is on a hill 5 miles from the Adriatic Sea. In pre-historic times the area was inhabited by the Piceni (9th-3rd centuries BC). After the Roman conquest, it received the status of urbs urbana (built city) in 268 BC. In the 5th century it was captured by the Visigoths.
In the 12th century, it was a free commune, thwarting the attempts from Fermo to capture it. In the 15th century it was acquired by Francesco Sforza, who fortified it; in 1663 it became part of the Papal States, to which (apart the Napoleonic period) it remained until 1860, when it was annexed to the newly formed Kingdom of Italy. The Italian Branch of Sabbath Rest Advent Church can claim that the number of members is estimated at more than 2000 members, with its headquarter in Monterubbiano, but with the presence in many other Italian places.
San Gimignano is an Italian hill town in Tuscany, southwest of Florence. Encircled by 13th-century walls, its old town centers on Piazza della Cisterna, a triangular square lined with medieval houses. It has a skyline of medieval towers, including the stone Torre Grossa. The Duomo di San Gimignano is a 12th-century church with frescoes by Ghirlandaio in its Santa Fina Chapel.
Greccio is an old hilltown and comune of the province of Rieti in the Italian region of Lazio, overhanging the Rieti valley on a spur of the Monti Sabini, a sub-range of the Apennines.
Greccio was founded, according to tradition, by a Greek colony or family, who fled or exiled from their homeland following wars and destruction who fell in love with the amenity of the place and the comfort of natural defense it offered, and settled there. Hence the name Greece, Grece, Grecce and finally Greccio. The first certain information dates back to the 10-11th century. when the fragmentary possessions of the Abbey of Farfa were reunited and the fortification of the curtis proceeded. The Benedictine monk Gregorio da Catino (1062-1133) refers to the locality of Greccio (curte de Greccia) in his work “Regesto Farfense”.
The hill town of Assisi in Umbria is one of Italy’s best preserved medieval villages. The ancient buildings are constructed from a local stone that has slightly pink color enhancing the visual beauty of this special place with a lovely network of pedestrian lanes to explore, some of them so steep they are staircases rather than streets. The main reason that most people visit the town is because it was the home of St. Francis, one of the Catholic Church’s most important saints, who is buried here under the great basilica that was constructed two years after his death in the early 13th century.
A walking tour in 𝗖𝗶𝘃𝗶𝘁𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗰𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗮 𝗱𝗶 𝗔𝗿𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗼, region 𝗟𝗮𝘇𝗶𝗼, center Italy, province of Frosinone, a small town of about 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝟭𝟮𝟯 𝗶𝗻𝗵𝗮𝗯𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗻𝘀 The birth of the first settlement on today’s Arpinian territory can be traced back to the Volsci. However, dating is difficult. Some scholars fix its birth around the 7th-6th century. BC, others, however, around the middle of the 4th century. B.C. Beyond Arpino there are several cities founded in the Ciociaria area by this ancient population. That of the Volsci was a population that lived above all on agriculture and pastoralism, but it was also very warlike. The wars with Rome are proof of this. The choice to build the first settlement on such high ground was due to defensive objectives. In fact, that of the Volsci was not the only population in central Italy and Marsi and Sanniti were among the most dangerous. It is for this reason that huge cyclopean (or polygonal) walls were erected to defend what would become Civitavecchia di Arpino, still visible today.