Tag Archives: Bassiano

Village Walks: ‘Bassiano – Central Italy’ (Video)

Bassiano is a municipality in the Province of Latina in the Italian region Lazio, located about 60 kilometres southeast of Rome and about 14 kilometres northeast of Latina. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 1,664 and an area of 31.6 square kilometres.

๐—ง๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ ๐Ÿ”ป 0:00โ€‹ – [Drone intro] 1:30โ€‹ – [Walking tour begins / Northern gate] 3:34โ€‹ – [Via Manunzio] 10:28โ€‹ – [“Gate of the Holy Souls” / Archangel Micheal – the angel is visible past the gate on the left] 15:00โ€‹ – [Via Giulio Bernardini] 19:32โ€‹ – [Gate “Decarcia Tower” – holes for the ancient door still visible. On a house nearby there is scupted the head of God Fauno] 21:20โ€‹ – […tour continues…] 24:12โ€‹ – [Beautiful view on stone stairs] 30:00โ€‹ – [Beautiful little square] 31:28โ€‹ – [St.Erasmus Square & Chrcuh (closd unfortunately)] 33:20โ€‹ – […tour continues…] 34:34โ€‹ – [Suggestive interior hallway] 35:20โ€‹ – […tour continues…] 39:50โ€‹ – [*Poem on Bassiano* – ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜€๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜€] 41:29โ€‹ – [Via Manunzio] 43:04โ€‹ – [Inside the town again] 46:25โ€‹ – [Northern wall hallway] 49:05โ€‹ – [Outside the Walls / Monument to the fallen soldiers of the town]

The history of Bassiano certainly begins around the 10th century and starts with a small group of shepherds and farmers forced to take refuge in this place completely covered by the view of the plain, due to the continuous barbarian raids. The first written records of Bassiano date back to 1169. In a document found in the archive of the collegiate church of Santa Maria in Sermoneta, reference is made to the recovery of the Castrum stolen by deception by a certain Gregorio Leonis from a Lord of Bassiano. ๐— ๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—”๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜€ In 1240, Pope Gregory IX appointed Tasmondo Annibaldi as Lord of the Castles of Sermoneta and Bassiano, to thank him for the help received against the invasion attempts of Frederick II. The Annibaldi ruled the town until 1297 when the castle passed into the possession of the Caetani who ruled it until the fiefs were abolished, except for a decade (1492 – 1502) in which the Borgias ruled. The history of Bassiano is profoundly marked by the action of the spiritual movements of the 13th and 14th centuries, which were the promoters of a social renewal, also by the Knights Templar who, it is believed, have left the mark of their passage here. ๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ It was only at the beginning of the 16th century that the Caetani, with the construction of the Baronial palace, left an imprint of their dominion on the land of Bassiano. It was Bonifacio Caetani who in 1554 had an important palace built, as a refuge from the dangers of the swamp and a place of treatment for his ill health. The palace incorporates in its interior houses and medieval shops that the Caetani had bought in the 15th century in the โ€œPorta salamandraโ€ area which was the main access road to the Castrum. Important citizen of the town is the humanist typographer Aldo Manuzio.