Five stories to know for April 26: Academy Awards 2021, vaccinated Americans to visit Europe, India COVID cases and the sunken Indonesian submarine.
1. ‘Nomadland’ won the Oscar award for best picture and its director Chloe Zhao made history winning the best director. She is the first Asian woman and only the second woman ever to take home the prize. Britain’s Anthony Hopkins won the best actor trophy for his role as a man battling dementia in “The Father.” The Oscar had been widely expected to go to the late Chadwick Boseman for his final film, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.”
2. Following one of the most consequential court cases in recent U.S. history, Hollywood wasted no time in reflecting on the state of race relations and police use of force at the Oscars.
3. Summer travel to Europe could be on the horizon for vaccinated Americans. Ursula von der Leyen said the continent will ease existing travel restrictions.
4. India: COVID-19 cases hit a record for a fifth day, as countries including Britain, Germany and the United States pledged to send urgent medical aid.
5. A missing Indonesian submarine has been found, broken into at least three parts, at the bottom of the Bali Sea.