Five stories to know for July 8: Florida collapse, Haiti, Trump sues Facebook and Twitter, Rudy Giuliani, Olympics
1. South Florida officials called off the search for survivors of a June condominium tower collapse, saying there was no longer any hope of pulling someone alive from the ruins of the flattened building.
2. Haiti’s security forces were locked in a fierce gun battle with assailants who assassinated President Jovenel Moise at his home overnight.
3. Donald Trump filed lawsuits against Twitter, Facebook, and Google, as well as their chief executives, alleging they unlawfully silence conservative viewpoints.
4. A U.S. appeals court suspended Rudy Giuliani, a former attorney for Trump, from practicing law in Washington, D.C.
5. Japan declared a coronavirus state of emergency for Tokyo that will run through its hosting of the Olympic Games to curb a new wave of infections.