Five stories to know for May 10: Shootings in Colarado and New York’s Times Square, China’s rocket debris, clashes in Israel, and COVID in India.
1. A man fatally shot six people including his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself at a birthday party in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
2. Remnants of China’s biggest rocket landed in the Indian Ocean, with most of its components destroyed upon re-entry into the atmosphere.
3. Three people including a four-year-old girl were shot in New York City’s Times Square after gunfire broke out in a dispute that they were apparently not involved in, the city’s top police official said.
4. Palestinian protesters threw rocks and Israeli police fired stun grenades and rubber bullets in clashes outside al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, as Israel marked the anniversary of its capture of parts of the city in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.
5. Indian coronavirus infections and deaths held close to record daily highs on Monday, increasing calls for the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to lock down the country.